St. Andrews Pie
I just love a good steak pie, when I was thinking about a dish that would be fit for purpose to celebrate St Andrew, I thought how do we make it even more Scottish, by adding our most well-known dish Haggis to it. Haggis is brilliant at adding a real depth of flavour to anything it is added to. It is such a tasty dish that anything you put it in is transformed. The surprizing thing is that the haggis doesn’t overtake that dish, in fact most people wouldn’t even know that there was haggis in the pie all they would think would be that its very tasty.
600g Scotch stewing beef, cut into cubes
20g Plain flour
1 tbsp Good oil
2 Onions, chopped
1 tbsp Parsley, chopped
1 tbsp Thyme, chopped
500ml Beef stock, a quality cube will work for this.
225g Puff pastry, readymade
1 Egg, beaten
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Dust the cubed steak with the seasoned flour.
2. Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed pan and fry the meat, remembering not to shake the pan or to stir the meat until it has browned on that side, browning the meat is very important as this is when you will create lots of flavour.
3. Once the meat has browned on all sides.
4. Add the chopped onions, herbs, salt and freshly ground black pepper and the stock and bring to the boil.
5. Next pre heat your oven to 150˚C.
6. Pop a lid on your pan and place into the oven until the meat is tender this should take between 1 to 1 ½ hours.
7. Remove from the oven and increase the temperature of your oven to 190°C.
8. Transfer the filling mixture to an ovenproof dish.
9. Cut a piece of pastry and roll it out to fit across the top of your dishes. Making sure you reserve some pastry for the St Andrews Cross on top.
10. Whilst the pastry is still in the table brush with egg yolk, then place the strips of pastry for the cross.
11. Next carefully lay the pastry over the dish and press the edges together to seal.
12. Transfer to the oven and cook until the pastry is golden and crisp.
© Brookfield Drinks Limited 2020 and the registered company details, Brookfield Drinks Limited, Company Number 08186959